Friday, April 23, 2021

Can this get any worse? Or how I spent my Earth Day

 Still at LMC. Still floating. It's been a down week, not doing much really, reading books, eating. Well not much eating. Need to go restock. Worked on the generator, it was having overheating issues. Found the drive belt very loose. As the belt was loose and had been ground down to half it's usual width I replaced it. Found the impeller, which is on the back side of the cooling water pump and very nearly inaccessible, and managed to inspect that as well. It was in excellent condition. Then spent a good 1 1/2 hours putting it back together. For some reason this has a non geometrical shape. It's four tiny screws and a cover! So it took a while, tiny screws in a very small space. Pretty normal for boat work. But the engine space is a suite of rooms compared to the generator space. Ran it didn't see any water leaks, or other issues so wrestled the shroud back on to it. We have been having some unusually overcast days down here and the solar panels were not keeping up with the usage, and the powers that be have assigned us a space that is very far from the single pedestal that you can plug into, and no extension cords are forthcoming. So I needed to run the generator to charge the batteries as well as make some hot water for showers. Showers are a lovely thing down here in the land of stinky pits. After a while the divers, who had been working on the boat in the well next to me and wanted to know if I had any known leaks? I looked at the water and there was quite a sheen, nice oil slick going on. I do not have any leaks that I was aware of, particularly fuel or oil for that matter. I shut off the generator and stuck my head under the boat. The compartment drain for the generator hole had a nice ooze of oil coming out of it. That is certainly not good. Wrestled the shroud back out of the hole and saw oil in the compartment, not a lot of it, but there shouldn't have been any. Got some diapers, manufactured towel things that only absorb oil and oil products, and started soaking up the mess. Looked at the dipstick on the generator and saw it was down maybe a pint. :(

So that pint went into the river. The divers called their hazmat guys and soon had a couple booms to contain and soak up the free floating oil. All in all not as bad as it could have been. I did a postmortem on the generator and as near as I can tell I popped the valve cover gasket on it. Another major system on the boat that has failed. The booms stayed in place till this morning and the oil had either dispersed or been soaked up by the booms. Happy Earth Day Momma Earth. That little incident went on the bill, another $1500. :(

I had been on the schedule for a Thursday, April 22nd, haul out, however I was extended. This place is full to the brim and there is no room in the inn. Anyway I have a new one for Monday @ 10:30, hopefully then I can get this show on the road again. Really I just need two engines so I can station keep at the bridges and sails that hold onto the masts. Food storage, usual. Then I can go. I've been stuck here for about a month now. Not what I expected.

I thought about fixing the transmission then calling it quits and listing it for sale, but I really need to get it out of here first. 

So that's it for this episode of this Old Busted Boat.

No comments:

Post a Comment