Thursday, October 31, 2013

Second helping of worry

Good Morning!
It's early on a Thursday morning. I have about 12 bazillion things to do this Halloween day. I am feeling like doing none of them. Lots of work to do today, end of month is always a PITA.

Remember Captain Jeff? He took Betty and I out for my fiftieth birthday cruise. His boat is for sale. Pearson 424 Gypsy.

Anyway I was able to track down the widow Wittholz, while we know he was a very prolific boat designer finding his information on the internets was a difficult thing. I eventually posted a plea for help on Cruisers Forum which almost immediately surfaced the information I was looking for.

I am of course having issues pulling the trigger on this one and there are a number of valid reasons for that.

-Cons-

  1. The boat is a wreck. The only thing that works on this boat is the hull and some of the wood work.
  2. The hatches might or might not leak like sieves
  3. The stove needs to be replaced as well, for some unknown reason the stove is electric so will need to be replaced with propane.
  4. It's unlikely the refrigeration works, so will need to be replaced.
  5. All the cushions and beds will need to be replaced.
  6. It's quite a ways away so will have to be towed to this location. 
  7. It will take years of work, working at my schedule, to get this relaunched and in the water.
  8. Do I have enough motivation and perseverance to see this project through to it's completion?
  9. We had discussed waiting for a few more years so that the boats coming out of the yards a few years ago aged a little more and we had a more varied selection of hulls to look at.
  10. It's not a catamaran.
  11. The wife was feeling a little queasy while examining the boat and it was on a river with about zero motion, well as zero as a monohull ever really gets, tied to the pier.
  12. The current owner did almost no preventive maintenance.
  13. It's a steel hull.
  14. Guesstimating it will probably take 40K to renovate. And as that is a guesstimate, it will be more.
  15. For the amount of $$ I am looking at sinking into this hull, I could buy a boat that works and be on the water tomorrow, well so to speak.

-Pros-
  1. We can probably get this hull for way lower than market value.
  2. The boat builder is well known for building very good equipment.
  3. The designer is well know for designing excellent boats.
  4. We can rebuild it to be exactly what we want it to be.
  5. If we re-power with electric drive, I am confident that I can manage the maintenance of the thing. Of course I was confident I could handle the maintenance of the power plant when it was going to be diesel, I even learned how to spell diesel.
  6. At the current bid I can pay for the thing with cash.
  7. It's a steel hull.
  8. The masts are keel stepped.
  9. It's ketch rigged.
  10. There is always another derelict hull out there.
  11. The master cabin already has a fore - aft bed, vice a athwart-ships bed. You don't see many of those in this size bed.
  12. There is a Howdy Bailey 45' steel pilot house on the market in Annapolis for $500,000
Anyway there are so many issues floating around. I need to be sure I am working for the next few years so I can make sure I have the cash to sink into this project. And in the arena I am working in, that is of course never a given. Just about anybody is in the same boat, there are just different levels of comfort in your current prospects for continued employment. 

And speaking of continuing employment I need to do the commute. It's a short one today as I am working from the home, so down the stairs I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment